New Devices = diffusion of Ubuntu Touch

• I'm new in this forum. I think that ubuntu touch should be brought to more widespread devices, such as samsung smartphones (j3, j5, j7 ..), in order to give more possibilities to the system to spread. mine is just an observation that I think is to be assessed if you want the diffusion of the operating system. (i'm italian so sorry for my bad english)

• Community

@sanso86 said in New Devices = diffusion of Ubuntu Touch:

hat ubuntu touch should be brought to more widespread devices, such as samsung smartphones (j3, j5, j7 ..), in order to give more possibilities to the system to spread. mine is just an observation that I think is to be assessed if you want the diffusion of the operating system. (i'm italian so sorry for my bad english)

Ubuntu Touch is coming to new devices, but the core devs are more focused on the development on the core OS, and apps inside the OS, if we focused more on porting then the OS wouldn't get the improvements, that our core audience wants to see and have, bugs wouldn't be fixed.

Of cause we happily accept and encourage other peoples efforts to port Ubports to other phones/devices.

But as stated, new phones are getting the OS, the OP3, OP5 and OP6 have all been promised ports from Marius, Dalton has been working on the Nexus 5x, and I hear some other phones are getting ports as well.

• @sanso86 Hi, welcome!

There's people trying to port UT to other devices than the currently supported ones but it is not an easy process. You can learn about it here https://docs.ubports.com/it/latest/porting/introduction.html (some parts are in Italian and others in English).

There's an Italian group in Telegram if you want to chat about UBports in your language too https://t.me/ubportsitaliano

• @phoenixlandpirat I agree with you but I think the work should be divided in half. Ubuntu Touch has become a very stable operating system and so I think we could start to focus more on the porting, which is very important. Unfortunately, the devices on which Ubuntu Touch can now be installed are "old" devices, most of them no longer available on the market (nexus 4 and 5, bq aquaris E4.5). So if we look for a diffusion of the operating system we need to bet on more widespread and current smartphones (huawei, samsung).
    Thanks anyway for listening to my proposal.

• @advocatux Thank you so much, but i just try this guide and it is very hard. it's not a safe guide, so I'll wait and hope for a porting of samsung devices.

• :) Hi @sanso86. There's a lot of work going on at the moment to build Ubuntu Touch on 16.04. As I understand it, that's going to have a lot of implications. On the one hand apps are going to need to be rebuilt, but potentially it could bring UT to a lot of newer, and more powerful devices.

(You can still get hold of the phones that are supported online - new or second hand.)

• @3arn0wl Thanks for your answer! A question: you think that Ubunu Touch will coming for new devices like Samsung or Huawei?

• @sanso86 I have read discussions about people porting to Samsung. I don't know how far they have got though.

A lot seems to depend on the chipset, and with that, how much proprietary software there is in the phone.

• @3arn0wl Ok, thank you for your attention. Hopefully soon there will be this big step forward.

• Community

@sanso86 said in New Devices = diffusion of Ubuntu Touch:

agree with you but I think the work should be divided in half. Ubuntu Touch has become a very stable operating system and so I think we could start to focus more on the porting, which is very important. Unfortunately, the devices on which Ubuntu Touch can now be installed are "old" devices, most of them no longer available on the market (nexus 4 and 5, bq aquaris E4.5). So

The OS is coming to new phones, don't worry about that, just the 2 manufacturers you suggest, are very unlikely to see anything new.
    I wouldn't consider a phone which isn't even out yet, an old device, you obviously can't install it on the device yet, but their is always work going on to bring Ubuntu Touch to new devices.

• @phoenixlandpirat Thanks for the information. But old phones are not so easy to find. and then many of these have prices that are exaggerated. If you think about it, it's better not to buy another phone just for another operating system. I bought my phone a few months ago and it seems stupid to change it just because it mounts Android and not Ubuntu Touch. I just hope that those who are now working on porting Ubuntu Touch have understood that we need to change the situation, and if we do not do it now, we risk losing hope to many people, who like me believe in this operating system. I will never stop believing in this project and will try in any way to contribute to it. I try only to say that you should make the operating system accessible even to the most used samrtphone. Thanks for listening to me!

Looks like your connection to UBports Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.