[Question] How to enable cellular connection using terminal?

• Introduction

Hi, I wrote few scripts that reconnect user to configured VPN in specific situations e.g. when wifi is off it enables it.
    I would like to do same thing with cellular data. Unfortunately I can't find out what is the command for it. I tired some nmcli commands with no success.

Question

Is there possibility to enable cellular data using terminal without sudo?

My Tries

nmcli device connect ril_0

Error: Filed to add/activate new connection: Message recipient disconnected from message bus without replying

nmcli connection up ifname ril_0

Error: Connection activation filed: The device 'ril_0' has no connection available for activation

When you type nmcli c show the gsm is assigned to device field and it looks like something that shouldn't be shared in Internet 😉

nmcli c up /xxxxxxxxxxxx/xxxxx

Error: connection activation filed: No suitable device found for this connection.

nmcli monitor

Then I clicked switch to enable cellular data, output:

ril_0: disconnected
    Networkmanager is now in the 'connecting state'
    ril_0: connecting (prepare)
    ril_0: using connection '/xxxxxxxxxx/xxxxx'
    rmnet0: device removed
    Connectivity is now 'full'
    '/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/xxxxxx' is now primary connection
    Networkmanager is now in the 'connected' state 
    ril_0: connected

So how we can do all above steps manually?

Solution

here will be the solution

First post changelog

• 2020.08.21 - issue creation.

• @BigB Hi, afaik NetworkManager doesn't manage cellular connection in UT, you should probably try with ofono / rild.

• @Capsia said in [Question] How to enable cellular connection using terminal?:

ofono / rild

Hi, interesting too, my cell phone loses the connection to the cell network.

• @Capsia Thank You! 🙂

I'll continue searching but now with proper tools.
    For more advanced users maybe this or this will help - Especially this part of article: "Here is an example script of modem initialization:(...)"