this is an experiment I've done with Ubuntu Touch and I would like to share. If someone needs a microphone for conferencing during the pandemic but doesn't have one, here is how to use your Ubuntu Touch phone as a microphone for your pc.
Things you need:
- Your Ubuntu Touch phone
- A jack to jack audio cable
Step by step:
- Plug the cable into the microphone port of your pc and in the jack port of your phone.
Check that you've done the step 1 before going to step 2.
Check in the sound panel that headphones are plugged.
- Run the following command in the terminal:
pactl load-module module-loopback
- Note the number in the output, you'll need it to stop microphone sharing.
- Enable silent mode to prevent notifications from going into the microphone.
To stop sharing microphone:
- Run the following in the terminal replacing number_to_replace with the number you have noted before. Do not unplug the cable before running the command.
pactl unload-module number_to_replace
- You can now safely remove the cable.
Please check that you've done the operations in the correct order. (Don't hurt your ears).
Tested on Nexus 5 Dev