HowTo: contributing to app development with crossbuilder

• Hi,
    I started this topic since I have some spare time during the current holidays and therefore I would like to dig more into how to pro-actively contribute to the development of the our most preferred OS.
    What I'd like to do for the future would be to deploy an app to the store but I don't have enough knowledge right now, so I was more thinking to start choosing one or more 'pet bugs' (copyright @UniSuperBox) on GitHub.
    My first choice was oriented to the keyboard component, for which I'd like to try to change something. In order to do so, I first read the following UBports documentation:
    App development/System Software
    There are 3 different choices highlighted there, but it seemed to me that the suggested one were the one employing crossbuilder. I felt it promising and tailored to my needs because, if I understood well the description, I could change the core app locally on my PC and always locally I could update my modification on my phone to see if working, without affecting anybody. I followed the instructions but I keep getting an error with my phone connected (it's a Meizu Pro5 16.04 devel):
    0_1533053522270_8449254c-3085-4c30-9b96-822a68cd86a1-image.png

I don't have a clue of what's going on here. Is there anyone who could help me in order to make me work with crossbuilder in the proper way or maybe to point me out to other means to get to my goal?

Thanks in advance.

Matteo

• I would also like to know how we can setup the keyboard-component project, build it and test it.

• @forgotten Hi, it's nice to see someone else keen to contribute :) Nobody answered to my post up to now and it's kind of strange: I thought this weren't such a difficult question for who already has experience in coding for Ubuntu Touch...but I don't despair and I want to think that it's because it's summertime now and a lot of people are in holidays as I am....unfortunately my free time I wanted to dedicate to Ubuntu Touch coding is running out, so hope I'll find more time later.

• Community

Personally, I'll usually run the commands to build the software via an adb shell session rather than using Crossbuilder. I haven't been able to run crossbuilder yet.

• @unisuperbox thank you for the reply, however would you kindly elaborate that? Is there a guide to follow to understand which commands are needed do be employed in adb shell in order to accomplish to this task? Crossbuilder is not mandatory to me, it only seemed to be the advised tool to be used, according to the UBports documentation.

• Community

Ah, I see that it's probably better to fix the problem in Crossbuilder than invent a new way to do all of this... Looks like some work is going on on the front. I'll see if I can look up any more information on it and come back to this.

• I have some trouble figuring out what's wrong here: the dch tool is part of the devscripts package, which should be installed by crossbuilder in the container. @matteo, can you please verify whether this is the case? Just run:

crossbuilder shell
    # then, in the container:
    apt-cache policy devscripts

and paste here the output.

Looks like your connection to UBports Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.