Explaining cardDAV contacts sync script

• Hi,

I'd like to ask, if somebody can explain purpose of following in the script for syncing contacts and calendars.

# line 27
    export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=$(ps -u phablet e | grep -Eo 'dbus-daemon.*address=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-[A-Za-z0-9]{10}' | tail -c35)

and later usage on line

#line 61
    COMMAND_LINE="export DISPLAY=:0.0 && export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=$(ps -u phablet e | grep -Eo 'dbus-daemon.*address=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-[A-Za-z0-9]{10}' | tail -c35) && /usr/bin/syncevolution $CALENDAR_NAME && /usr/bin/syncevolution $CONTACTS_NAME"

Because I encountered a problem, when I run /sbin/sogosync. It just fails to contact the server and contacts are not updated.

But if i run /usr/bin/syncevolution nextcloudcontacts directly from the command line, it works and sync changes from / to the server.

I'm not sure, why cron service need to export a display and DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS. Which I found out was different in a file compared to when I run original command in a command line.

Maybe the script /sbin/sogosync should contain dynamic command and not printed address resolved when echoing it to the file itself (sudo echo "$COMMAND_LINE" > /sbin/sogosync) ?

• Hi zlamalp,

I faced the same issue when I wanted to put in place sync script.
    I'm using the script given in link on this page :
    https://docs.ubports.com/en/latest/userguide/advanceduse/dav.html
    The script is on git repository :
    https://gist.github.com/boTux/069b53d8e06bdb9b9c97

I don't know if the script you use is the same (line 27 is different).
    Nevertheless, when I used this script, the sync doesn't work anymore after reboot of the phone.
    It's because the following command :

DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=$(ps -u phablet e | grep -Eo 'dbus-daemon.*address=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-[A-Za-z0-9]{10}' | tail -c35)

doesn't return the same value after a reboot.
    So you have to evaluate it after each reboot.

To do so, I changed the lines number 96 to 100 (in the script) by these ones :

CRON_FREQUENCY="hourly"

sudo mount / -o remount,rw
    COMMAND_LINE="export DISPLAY=:0.0 && export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=$(ps -u phablet e | grep -Eo 'dbus-daemon.*address=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-[A-Za-z0-9]{10}' | tail -c35) && /usr/bin/syncevolution $OC_DATABASE_NAME"
    sudo sh -c "echo '$COMMAND_LINE' > /sbin/sogosync"
    sudo chmod +x /sbin/sogosync

CRON_LINE="@$CRON_FREQUENCY /sbin/sogosync"
    (crontab -u phablet -r;) # only if no other cronjob already exist in the crontab
    (crontab -u phablet -l; echo "$CRON_LINE" ) | crontab -u phablet -
    sudo mount / -o remount,ro
    sudo service cron restart

With these modification, the value is evaluate et each reboot.

Hope it will help you,

Yannick

• Hi @YannickH,

thank you, but the lines you posted are exactly the same as mine. When I run this script it ends up with evaluated DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=whatevervalue insead of containing the DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=$(ps -u phablet e | grep -Eo 'dbus-daemon.*address=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-[A-Za-z0-9]{10}' | tail -c35) as it probably should since the dbus address is different on each restart.

But my question is also whether it is necessary or somehow usefull to have it in a script. As example what I mean:

I got notification "your contacts were synced" the first time I synced my contacts. But notification showed up after first restart (not after sync finished as I would expect). But also it never appears again. Even if I manually sync my contacts or make changes to the contacts (expecting to sync them later).

Is it related to this ? Is this notification related to used backed (syncevolution), when it should appear ?

Looks like your connection to UBports Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.