GPS tracking in Background - Edge Hack (Not Devel, Stable, RC)

• @ernest said in GPS tracking in Background - Trick:

@normandc said in GPS tracking in Background - Trick:
    To have the recording screen off, you have to enable with Tweak tool the option "Prevent suspend" for the terminal app.

As I wrote, I already enabled this setting.

One thing I didn't mention is that I don't have a SIM card in yet, my Android phone is still my main phone until I migrate everything to the OPO. I didn't have any Internet access. I since read that GPS localization seems to be more problematic without a SIM card.

Check the new version, uploaded today, no more long list the screen is refreshed after each datapoint.
    I've also add a sum-up calculation at the end :

GPX file Created : 1566872659557.gpx

Length 2D: 0.004km
        Length 3D: 0.016km
        Moving time: 00:00:11
        Stopped time: 00:14:34
        Max speed: None
        Avg speed: 0m/s = 1km/h
        Total uphill: 3.3m
        Total downhill: 4.3m

That sounds great, I'm back home and with still a week vacation left, I'm hoping to test this further. Thanks!

I wonder, can we install Git on UT? It would make updating your script easier. I think I'll try and see.

• @normandc said in GPS tracking in Background - Trick:

A word of warning: if you forget to activate the terminal's "prevent app suspension" button, once the script is launched, there is no stopping it!!! The CTRL+C button at the bottom will not stop the script.

I meet the bug, doesn't appear on Edge but on Devel Yes.

I'll look at it.

• Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned I'm on 16.04/rc.

BTW I tried to install git on UT, the package isn't available. I guess I could always git pull from my PC then copy to the phone, but I'm not seeing the gps-utouch-tracker folder from the PC, only the folders Documents, Music, Images and Videos...

• @normandc
    From the phone terminal,

wget https://framagit.org/ernesst/gps-utouch-tracker/-/archive/master/gps-utouch-tracker-master.zip && unzip gps-utouch-tracker-master.zip

• @ernest thanks, I guess keeping the original folder name (with -master) will make updating easier in the future.

• All, i'm looking for good soul to test the last version, please contact me on Telegram : @Ernes_t

I've updated the script to : Consume less battery, import automatically the run to Activity Tracker when finished, upload the position in real-time to Phonetrack (Nextcloud) and distributed into a click.

I found recently thanks to iperspace, apparmor hack, the script should be able to run under all version.

• Thank you all for this subject !
    Is there a description (or source code) of the test_gps command somewhere, please ?
    BR
    Pulsar33

• Excellent ! Thank you very much @doniks
    Best regards
    Pulsar33

• Latest version has been uploaded to openstore.

Please read prior use : https://github.com/ernesst/Utrack/blob/master/README.md

• Hi all,
    I think this app is very useful.
    However, I can’t make it work.
    I use an Aquaris E4.5 with ubuntu 16.04 (OTA11).
    I used the previous script and now the recent updated script with no luck.
    I have no issues with the installation, but when I launch the script, it gets stuck with “Waiting for satellites ...”.
    When I close the app (Ctrl+C), it creates an empty gpx file.
    The rest of apps (ActivityTracker, OSMScout) fetch the data and show my position, so I am sure that GPS is working properly.
    What could be the cause?
    Thank you for your suggestions.
    aimar

• @aimar
    i noticed that the script is neither working with OP3 device. I had to modify it to make it works.
    Are you on telegram, if so please contact me @ern_st