GPS on Aquaris 4.5



  • I own one of the Aquaris 4.5 phones preinstalled with Ubuntu touch. It always seemed to take long to get a GPS connection running, but it feels it gets worse as time passes.
    I'm wondering if there is any chance to improve this via software ( e.g. the vendor of my Navi claims that the use of the latest device software will lead to quicker GPS connections).
    Or are these "calibration values", if they do exist, part of the closed source blob BQ does not provide updates to?
    How are the experiences with GPS on that phone for other users?
    thank you, Chris



  • Hi Chris,

    I had the same problem several month ago on my Aquaris 4.5, I asked BQ for this problem.
    They advise me to reinstall completly the last system image at this time, not only applying the last OTA, it solved the problem for me.
    Today my phone runs with the UBports image with a working GPS.

    Good luck...



  • @sombre_heros said in GPS on Aquaris 4.5:

    Hi Chris,

    I had the same problem several month ago on my Aquaris 4.5, I asked BQ for this problem.
    They advise me to reinstall completly the last system image at this time, not only applying the last OTA, it solved the problem for me.
    Today my phone runs with the UBports image with a working GPS.

    Good luck...

    Talking only about Canonical latest OTA-15: I do not know if the TTFF depends on re-installing the image. But for sure it depends on allowing GPS and enabling anon Wifi and mobile network info (which I have disabled). My TTFF on open sky is normaly around 10-20 secs which is for me fast enough. I use a modified uNav with prefetched tiles for my locations (i.e. uNav is not fetching the tiles from an OpenStreetMap server but from a local HTTPD running on my BQ). But this is just another story and if someone needs more details about, pls make another thread.



  • thank you for your responses ! Actually I have been able to do some testing here on vacation, and for me getting a lock takes some minutes, which is OK for me.
    Only for UNav I had some problems that the position sometimes is no longer updated after a few minutes ( there is an open issue that this could happen if other GPS apps are used in parallel).
    I've adopted the app SensorsStatus and put it to OpenStore. With that I have experienced the following: After the connection is found, the GPS position is updated once per second. But that stoppes after 2 to 3 minutes, and then it jumps to ( what I think) AGPS position and no longer updates from GPS.



  • the following QML Page does show the effect:

    import QtQuick 2.2
    import QtPositioning 5.2
    import Ubuntu.Components 1.3                                       
                                                                       
    Page {                                                             
        id: positiontestpage                                           
                                                                       
         PositionSource {                                              
                                                                       
        id: geopos
        active: true
      
       onPositionChanged: {
    
       postxt.text = "posupdate: " + geopos.position.timestamp
    }
    
    }
    
    Text {
    id: postxt
    color: "green"
    }
    }


  • the following seems to solve it:

    import QtQuick 2.2
    import QtPositioning 5.2
    import Ubuntu.Components 1.3                                       
                                                                       
    Page {                                                             
        id: positiontestpage                                           
                                                                       
         PositionSource {                                              
                                                                       
        id: geopos
        active: true
       preferredPositioningMethods: PositionSource.SatellitePositioningMethods
    
       onPositionChanged: {
    
       postxt.text = "posupdate: " + geopos.position.timestamp
    }
    
    }
    
    Text {
    id: postxt
    color: "green"
    }
    }


  • Well my UNAV works no more since i did install ubport version, i was hoping next ota update should fix it.
    If you guys have a tip to fix it would be great.



  • There's an updated version of uNav in the Openstore. Upgrade to that and it should work - I hope. It works for me.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to UBports Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.