Best way to move bookmarks and telephone-book ??

• in the Q&A it was mentioned/idea from @Flohack to create an backup-solution for the phones.
    i tried out the manual operation handwork way. ( much typing :( but its seems to work )
    After more and less luck i was able to find and import my bookmarks and telephone-book from
    the old phone to the new-one. (Terminal App / )

##_ Bookmarks _###################

1. Export bookmarks from old device.
    The bookmarks are stored in
    "/home/phablet/.local/share/webbrowser-app/bookmarks.sqlite "
    My usb-sticks destination-folder is mounted in
    /media/phablet/my_usbstick/backup20170604/
    So i fired up
    phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$ cp /home/phablet/.local/share/webbrowser-app/bookmarks.sqlite /media/phablet/my_usbstick/backup20170604/

(now the same procedure backwards)

2. Import/migrate bookmarks to new awesome Ubport-Phone
    phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$ cp /media/phablet/my_usbstick/backup20170604/bookmarks.sqlite /home/phablet/.local/share/webbrowser-app/

##_ mobile phone book _###################

3. Export mobile-phone-book from old device
    The mobile-phone-book are stored in
    "/home/phablet/.local/share/evolution/addressbook/system/contacts.db"
    My usb-sticks destination-folder is mounted in
    /media/phablet/my_usbstick/backup20170604/
    So i fired up
    phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$ cp /home/phablet/.local/share/evolution/addressbook/system/contacts.db /media/phablet/my_usbstick/backup20170604/

(now the same procedure backwards)

4. Import mobile-phone-book to new awesome Ubport-Phone
    phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$ cp /media/phablet/my_usbstick/backup20170604/contacts.db /home/phablet/.local/share/evolution/addressbook/system/

5. reboot the phone
    after this, the copied telephone-numbers are visible in the mobile-phone-book

############################

Another possibility by the Grapical-GUI the File-Manger/Browser-App.
    are there better ways/ suggestions ? ( Ok i know @Flohacks backup-project )

Good luck everyone!

• Hi, thanks for the great summary! I think for many users a GUI tools might come in handy and i stumbled upon this cool project: UbunTuTu which claims to be "adb for human beings" and provides functionality like import/export contacts, take screenshots, install local click packages, and view logs when the phone is connected to a linux/mac PC.

I can't test this personally as i don't have a capable device right now but if this works, it might be usefull to develop this further? Maybe include a few more nifty tools for end users to connect their phone to a PC?

If someone tests this please share your experience!

Thanks and best regards!

• Infrastructure

Actually its not so complicated to make a full backup. So I would not aim for single items like Contacts or Messages, just backup whole /home/phablet folder. I am currently adding sd card support to the backup tool that I wrote for the mdt.

BR

• @mike Hi. For contacts, i'd share all of it by telegram to my account and, after, i share my contacts via telegram (on PC) to my new ubport device. Gm

• @Flohack
    yea you are right. its a lot of typing if i save contacts only...to backup the whole home folder.....yes.... :)

• @Flohack said in Best way to move bookmarks and telephone-book ??:

backup tool that I wrote for the mdt

Is this already a feature in MDT? Can I just backup my whole phone now? Would be super great!!!

• @Bastos yup i am also interested in this.
    it would be more applike-userfriendly. ( not only a copy homefolder-tool or writing terminal stuff... i hope that its restore all usersettings...but i dont know realy how all the settings are stored. as example you see how chanonical stored the mobile-phone adressbook into evolution.
    i was surprised , evolution is used by ubuntu-phone... :)

• Infrastructure

Its not now in mdt as it is not fully enduser-ready. Maybe I can fix it until Sat for the big Q&A xD

BR

Looks like your connection to UBports Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.