struggle to install Ubuntu Touch on Nexus 5 with windows10 installer
Sorry to bother, first time trying anything like this, i just wanted a phone that isn't spying on me. Sorry I can't find any tutorial, any help? I need help using the Windows 10 Installer, this is the pathway I have followed a few times:
- I just bought a new Nexus 5 to run Ubuntu Touch on it as an everyday phone. I do a factory reset.
- I have clicked on "About Phone" and "Build Number" 7 times to give me developer access, and I have gone into "Developer Options" and enabled "USB Debugging".
- When I connect the USB cable I get a pop-up on the phone asking me if I want to allow USB debugging which I click "Always allow for this computer"
- I downloaded the windows 10 installer (ubports-installer_0.8.4-beta_win)
- The pop-ups in the Installer told me to install "Universal ADB driver" and "ADB driver" which I did. I closed and reopened the installer.
- the Installer perpetually says "Waiting for device", unless I click "Select device Manually", which does do something on the phone.
- with "Select device Manually" the device does a reboot into some kind of safe mode with a picture of a sleeping android.
- Upon phone shutdown it goes to a page with a big arrow pointing to the On/Off button (which if I press just loads google OS).
- If I leave the On/Off button alone then the installer perpetually says "flashing firmware" and never finishes
thank you for any help.
Am I missing any steps? When i get to step 8 should I press something else? If you can't specifically help can you at least point me to a good tutorial or youtube?
Lakotaubp last edited by
Firstly did you unlock or check the bootloader is unlocked.
Hi, exact same situation here. Stuck at @NewbyNoBrain's list's #9.
On my phone (hammerhead D821(H)) the fastboot page's last line says: "LOCK STATE - unlocked".
Basically my computer seems to detect the phone whenever Android is booted and running (command adb.exe devices returns the phone's ID), but nothing happens when it's in fastboot.
Thanks for your help.
Okay I advanced one step.
- For the computer to see the device when in fastboot, it needs a different driver. Go and download it here: https://developer.android.com/studio/run/win-usb. Unzip the driver file somewhere you can remember.
- Turn off phone.
- Start it in fastboot (hold Volume Down + Power button).
- Now in Windows open Start Menu and type devmgmt.msc, and locate Other devices > Android device. Right-click this and select Update driver.
- Point Windows to the driver folder you unzipped earlier.
- Confirm. The driver gets installed.
- Now in the Windows Device Manager (devmgmt.msc), you should see Android Device > Android Composite ADB Interface. This is what the phone looks like to your computer when the phone is in fastboot state.
- The ubports installer will now detect the phone when needed.
Ubuntu Touch was installing while I was writing this and it is now booting in there for the first time! Language selection screen is up!