A couple of questions about this device
Hey, folks. My initial desire was to buy Sony Xperia 10 III and install Sailfish OS on it, but they are a bit pricey in the country that I live in.
I am thinking of purchasing one of these devices (Pixel 3a or 3a XL) and trying UT on it.
I have a few questions about the general usage since it would be my daily driver.
- What is it like using the device on a regular basis?
- How reliably do Android apps run via Waydroid?
- Can one get notifications for Android apps if they continue running in the background (mainly Viber and Facebook Messenger, I'd use native apps for Telegram and Signal)?
- Would it be possible to use Google camera or one of its ports through Waydroid?
- Is it reasonable to expect that VoLTE will be supported on UT in the future?
- Does adblocking still works via uAdBlock app?
Thanks in advance,
@branja6 Hello and welcome. My two cents:
- The device works smoothly compared to other UT phones I had. But coming from android... Battery life is much, much shorter. Using camera is a slow, unintuitive process - when it doesn't bring up permissions issues and you need to restart it. Flight mode will require you to restart the phone or at least the GUI to get a cellular data connection back on - but you might need it to work around sms suddenly not arriving; mms are hit and miss. Fingerprint reader works on paper but actually is barely usable - and only for unlocking the phone anyway. I could go on about other issues but they wouldn't be device specific - everything else is fine I think.
- Waydroid is a rather impressive piece of work. It runs with almost no lag and is easy to use. You just need to hit that waydroid-stop button after each session otherwise it will drain that battery in no time. Forget about using it on a continuous, background-app kind of usage; especially if you need notifications - unless you keep the phone charging, this is an unreasonable use. I managed to install pretty much anything so far, including apps requiring google services, with the help of microG - but core Gapps like Lens or anything like that... It might be possible, not sure.
- Yes, you get the notifications. Btw Signal currently doesn't have any.
- Google camera, I'd be surprised, but maybe.
- to the extent a lot of people work to achieve this, and it's a major prick in the foot of UT users, I'd say it's reasonable...
- Yes, it works fine !
@emphrath thank you so much for answering all the questions!
From everything you've written, I've decided to save more money and get an Xperia instead of a Pixel. In order to use it as a daily driver, it has to fulfill all the basic things and still be able to last through a day (and a half).