OTA-9 && battery drain



  • Since updating my BQ E4.5 yesterday to OTA-9 I see faster battery drain. One reason is for sure the deccod as here in this case:

    top - 16:54:19 up 20:42,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05
    Tasks: 225 total,   2 running, 220 sleeping,   3 stopped,   0 zombie
    %Cpu(s): 44.3 us,  6.8 sy,  0.0 ni, 48.6 id,  0.0 wa,  0.0 hi,  0.3 si,  0.0 st
    KiB Mem :   983712 total,    66520 free,   520936 used,   396256 buff/cache
    KiB Swap:   524284 total,   243380 free,   280904 used.   430755 avail Mem 
    
      PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S %CPU %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND                         
    25171 phablet   20   0   94616  17696   9592 R 97.0  1.8   7:09.36 dekkod                          
    13253 root      20   0       0      0      0 S  2.3  0.0   0:00.73 tx_thread                       
    14910 phablet   20   0    8376   1488    988 R  1.3  0.2   0:04.67 top                             
     2497 phablet   20   0    9300   2464   1364 S  0.3  0.3   1:34.22 upstart                         
    

    Any other known reasons for this with OTA-9?



  • It is draining nearly 25% in only one hour without any using and Wifi switched off. I now also swiched data mobile off and the device is in suspend with display off. We are at 20.55 with 77%, will report at 21:55....

    21:55 70%



  • @guru I had a similar problem a few month ago. Changing the channel fixed it for me.



  • @thilov said in OTA-9 && battery drain:

    @guru I had a similar problem a few month ago. Changing the channel fixed it for me.

    Changing the channel or change and switch back? I'm on stable.



  • @guru Well, I switched from rc to dev and it was fixed. Than I switched back to rc and everything was still fine.



  • I had terrible battery drain the day before yesterday. But didn't see anything obviously suspicious in top. And it was fine after rebooting... Hard to analyze and fix such issues.



  • I had noticed an N5 getting warm after installing OTA-9, but after rebooting the device works fine. Update was done via adb.



  • Here the same with E4.5. Normally it lasts around 7-10 days. After OTA-9 the battery says it's at around 90% after 2 days using it (which is not realistic, i need 10-20% per day), and on the third day it went from 90% to 10% in approximately 6 hours without even using it.
    I don't know if it's only a contingency or because of OTA-9, but I never had this behavior before. I will have a look if this happens again.



  • @guru With my N5 while the wifi and cellular data is on the battery lasts almost the whole day. Instead with the flight mode turned on, the battery drains like hell I mean during the night it drains from 90% to 30% or so.
    I guess It's more convenient to have all the switches on.
    Also I tried all channels, stable, rc and dev all the same behavior. Weird



  • The screenshot makes it look like the issue is Dekko2 not the OS.



  • I'm far away from saying that there is no bug in Dekko2, but if finding below is a bug in Dekko2 or a new bug/feature/behavior in the OS is unclear. The high CPU utilization of dekkod is a result of reading from time to time again through one of its database files /home/phablet/.cache/dekko2.dekkoproject/database/qmailstore.db (39 MByte in size) with tons of llseek(2) and read(2) syscalls:

    [pid 22511] _llseek(9, 20623360, [20623360], SEEK_SET) = 0
    [pid 22511] read(9, "\r\0\0\0\1\1o\0\1o\1\27\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0"..., 1024) = 1024
    [pid 22511] _llseek(9, 20625408, [20625408], SEEK_SET) = 0
    [pid 22511] read(9, "\r\0\0\0\1\1v\0\1v\2\214\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0"..., 1024) = 1024
    [pid 22511] _llseek(9, 22777856, [22777856], SEEK_SET) = 0
    [pid 22511] read(9, "\r\0\0\0\1\1s\0\1s\2\214\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0"..., 1024) = 1024
    [pid 22511] _llseek(9, 20626432, [20626432], SEEK_SET) = 0
    [pid 22511] read(9, ^C"\r\0\0\0\1\1s\0\1s\2\225\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0"..., 1024) = 1024
    ...
    

    In it log file it says about this:

    [22511] May 13 07:24:41 [Debug] Action completed 96684008800466 result success
    [22511] May 13 07:26:39 [Warning] Would not determine server/action completing
    [22511] May 13 07:26:39 [Warning] Would not determine server/action completing
    [22511] May 13 07:26:40 [Debug] Running action ExportUpdatesRequest 96684008800468
    [22511] May 13 07:26:40 [Debug] Running action ExportUpdatesRequest 96684008800469
    [22511] May 13 07:26:41 [Warning] Unable to process malformed message removal record for account 4
    [22511] May 13 07:26:41 [Warning] Unable to process malformed message removal record for account 4
    [22511] May 13 07:26:41 [Warning] Unable to process malformed message removal record for account 4
    [22511] May 13 07:26:41 [Warning] Unable to process malformed message removal record for account 4
    [22511] May 13 07:26:41 [Warning] Unable to process malformed message removal record for account 4
    ....
    

    I think it's time to remove the Dekko2 installation completely and start again from scratch. The PITA is that there is no way to keep the configuration, one must configure all by hand from scratch. This is really a bug in Dekko2.


Log in to reply