Does the clock still not crash after adding an alarm?
Posts made by hummlbach
RE: Q&A 30 This Saturday 16/06/18 @ UTC 19:00
@core devs: Are you bored of fixing so many regressions for such a long time? or is it perhaps just the work you crazy porting masochists like most? ;-P Would you actually prefer doing something else instead? How glad will you be, once you have got OTA-4 out? So what these questions are all about: How are you? Anything the community could do for you?
RE: MyCroft (voice assistant) demo app
@kugiigi Yes i would really like to do that. The very early tests have shown, that I need to do one or two improvements in advance. And I have to check with the openstore team whether they accept such a hacky - and its really hacky ;-) - click...
MyCroft (voice assistant) demo app
Together with @jonius and @TimSueberkrueb, I had the great pleasure to build a small (about 250MB) MyCroft demo click package. Its at a very early stage: ssh server needs to be enabled on the device in order to use the app; its known to crash on FP2@16.04 and firstname.lastname@example.org :-(but nonetheless you could try if its working on your FP2/nexus5) and is kind of working on email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org yippy :-) Details on the status are found in the issue tracker. Everyones welcome to test it (obv)!
A little about how MyCroft works:
- The device is listening for the wake word (atm) "Hey MyCroft". That is done locally on the device.
- Everything said after the wake word is then sent to a speech to text web service. By default Googles is used.
- The text returned is then mapped by the intent parser to a skill and depending on the skill different things will happen.
- The skill returns text which is (locally) synthesized to speech again (also called text to speech).
A few sentences about privacy concerns and future plans:
- To avoid having the microphone always on (beside privacy concerns it has an big impact on the battery too), it would be nice to wake MyCroft by pressing a hardware button. Whether this will be possible or not, depends on how it is integrated in/packaged for Ubuntu Touch.
- Most probably it won't be possible to do the speech to text locally on the device. There will be a setting to select the service used (there are others than Google) but if you want to use it, you'll have to send your speech to some service at least or use a chat bot - @TimSueberkrueb is thinking about implementing this.
- At the moment its funny in the first place. But my actual motivation having MyCroft, was for practical reasons: Being able to call mum while driving by car or adding milk to the buy list while baking... Therefor we have to interface with the apps (for example) and that of course should happen locally again, s.t. for the useful things only your verbal request (i.e. "call mum" or "add milk to the buy list") will be processed to text online and the rest will happen locally...
The issue tracker already also reflects these plans more or less. I'm very curious what you think about that and hope you enjoy testing.
RE: How to Import Python library to clickable?
I think @TimSueberkrueb is using getlibs.py for that... Maybe this helps you: https://github.com/timsueberkrueb/ubports-gettogether/blob/master/timsueberkrueb/pyotherside/presentation.md
RE: Move from Github to Gitlab?
Somehow this makes me upset... I think because it makes me feel that you can almost buy anything if you just have enough money...
While I really don't like the thought of spending one month just for moving things from github to somewhere, I think on the other hand all the open source projects should take the opportunity to show them that they cannot buy everything...