LGE Nexus 5 (hammerhead)
Flohack last edited by Flohack
This is an upgrade port for the Nexus 5 core device. The current port uses classic porting on Android 5.1 with lots of band aids and mixture of blobs etc. The new port is on Halium 7.1 level.
- Actors: Manual brightness
- Actors: Notification LED
- Actors: Torchlight
- Actors: Vibration
- Cellular: Carrier info, signal strength
- Cellular: Data connection
- Cellular: Incoming, outgoing calls
- Cellular: MMS in, out
- Cellular: PIN unlock
- Cellular: SMS in, out
- GPU: Boot into UI
- Misc: Battery percentage
- Misc: Offline charging
- Misc: Online charging
- Misc: RTC time is used after reboot
- Misc: Shutdown / Reboot
- Network: Bluetooth
- Network: Flight mode
- Network: WiFi
- Sensors: Automatic brightness
- Sensors: GPS
- Sensors: Proximity
- Sensors: Rotation
- Sensors: Touchscreen
- Sound: Earphones
- Sound: Loudspeaker
- Sound: Microphone
- Sound: Volume control
- USB: External monitor
Working with additional steps
- Cellular: Voice in calls (Volume very low)
For camera, please follow the steps here: https://forums.ubports.com/topic/3257/how-to-test-gstreamer-droid-based-camera-support-in-ubuntu-touch-for-halium-7-1-based-port
- Camera: Flashlight
- Camera: Photo
- Camera: Switch between back and front camera
- Camera: Video
- Cellular: Change audio routings
- GPU: Video acceleration
- Misc: Anbox patches applied to kernel
- Misc: Recovery image
- Misc: Reset to factory defaults
- Network: Hotspot
- USB: MTP access
- USB: ADB access
- Endurance: Battery lifetime > 24h from 100%
- Endurance: No reboot needed for 1 week
- Misc: Wireless charging
Assuming you have already Ubuntu Touch installed. That means, the bootloader is unlocked and a UT recovery is in place. You need a Linux PC with adb and fastboot installed.
- You need the Android tool simg2img, e.g. from https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/devel/android-tools-fsutils or https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/simg2img
- Download halium-install from here: https://github.com/JBBgameich/halium-install/releases (Click on Assets and download the standalone script)
- Download the kernel and system image from here: http://twoot.bin.org.in/nextcloud/index.php/s/873qT7twZ6tXPqb
- Download the latest rootfs image from here: https://ci.ubports.com/job/xenial-rootfs-armhf/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/out/ubports-touch.rootfs-xenial-armhf.tar.gz
- Bring your device into bootloader mode (long-press Vol-Down and Power until bootloader menu appears)
fastboot flash boot halium-boot.img
- Select Recovery with the volume keys and confirm with power button
- After device has booted, issue
halium-install-standalone.sh -p ut ubports-touch.rootfs-xenial-armhf.tar.gz system.img
- halium-install will ask for your host´s sudo password first. This is normal and no security leak!
- Then it will also ask for an SSH/phablet user password to set on the device
Now the device should boot into the new system.
poVoq last edited by
Will this also include a Systemd / Wayland compatible Kernel?
Great work, @Flohack
Flohack last edited by Flohack
@poVoq Nexus 5 is on Kernel 3.4, so its not for the systemd that is in Halium (min requirement 3.10 I think). For wayland idk if there is any kernel dependency. However, we should take a look into whats the issue with systemd and kernel 3.4, maybe things could be backported a bit.
rubencarneiro last edited by
This post is deleted!
poVoq last edited by
I am guessing this will require a reflash of the device and will not come with a regular update at some point, right?
@poVoq No it can be done with a normal update, but it will take some time to get confidence that it works. But we have everything on board to be able to flash this with an OTA
rob last edited by
Does this use the GPU? I noticed Video works here, though not on the classic.
@rob Yes we hope to fix all video issues with this new upgrade. It should be also GPU-accelerated then.
Mic_ last edited by Mic_
My both N5 are running soo fine - u want to make them even better !? I thought only deepsleep was not working well.....
Is this comparable or the same like this here from PostmarketOS: https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Google_Nexus_5_(lg-hammerhead)
And by the way: The list of potential devices is now soo long! You said something about 'easier porting with the next OTA'? Could it be that we will get all these new phones running during the next months?
@Flohack Very interesting !
Did you test hotspot and vpn editor ?
@domubpkm Not now
Please will you update the Opening Post as things advance here...?
And will Halium 7.1 make convergence better on the N5? (Issue #301)
3 - eager as evvarh for the good stuff!
Thank you as always for the work done.
@3arn0wl Yes the opening post will always be updated. I cannot speak much for convergence as I dont have a supported device, but lets hope it gets better
I am syncing the repo for this now, Ill see if any of the things I did for my Galaxy Note 4 will work on hammerhead
I know there has been some progress regarding the future of this device
Could someone please clear the current situation?
Thanks a lot!
@malditobastardo Well we are working on a build based on Halium-7.1 which will improve camera and medai handling at least, and probably also solve other stuff. More important for us is that we reduce the number of code variants to be maintained in the future.
The build is still work in progress, currently fighting call audio, camera haha and some stuff. But it looks already nice. Still I wont recommend to flash it now, as basic things might not work as expected.
@Flohack Thanks a lot Flo for your answer. Everything is very clear.
Keep up the awesome effort and just let us know when help with testing is needed.
I want to try this I am not much familiar with installing with just the sources. Do I need to compile them and install via TWRP? I have experience flashing via TWRP and nexus root toolkit.
@kugiigi Please give me a few more days, the current sources and installation instructions are very unfriendly and will lead you in eventual problems. I will publish binaries so you can try.