So the OSK theme landed a few OTAs back. Awesome right?!
And now I'm back with my OSK works....finally!....specifically with the advanced text functionalities in the OSK.
I've prototyped and demoed this almost half a year ago but now I want to make it "PR-ready".
So once I get satisfied, I will propose this officially.
List of changes and additional features
- Added audio and haptic feedback to the word ribbon (auto suggest bar)
- Temporary fix for the issue where cursor mover isn't working correctly in QtWebEngine text fields such as in the Morph Browser (some trade-offs to fix this temporarily)
- Horizontal movement in the cursor mover will now move vertically once the start/end of line is reached. I'm not sure how this really affects the experience but it was definitely implemented like that before for a reason. (a trade-off for the issue above)
- A new way to trigger the cursor mover mode (bottom swipe). This is available anywhere in the OSK so regardless of the layout or type, you can now trigger it. Press and hold in the space bar is still available.
- Implemented text manipulation features which are available in a top bar that shows up when in cursor mover mode.
- Select All
- Implemented text selection mode (no timeout, needs manually exiting)
- While in cursor mover mode, double tap/click to enter selection mode. You can also immediately select texts by double tapping then swiping immediately without lifting your finger.
- Word Selection: Double tap while in cursor mover mode without swiping [Disabled for now to fix QtWebEngine issue]
- Added floating buttons in cursor mover mode
- Move cursor to the start/end of line or document
- They can also be used in conjunction with the selection mode!
- Done button: Used to end selection mode and/or cursor mover mode
- Changed timeout of cursor mover mode to 5 seconds (experimental)
The new toolbar buttons and floating buttons sometimes retain their previous color when changing OSK theme.
FIXED: Just needed to bind the colors
Start of line/documentbutton from the floating buttons while in selection mode doesn't select texts. I'm not really sure why.
FIXED: Stupid mistake by me....it worked in my first branch and just had a mistake with this new branch
The bottom swipe trigger might be difficult to trigger in landscape mode especially for devices with protrusion on the sides/bezels especially those with cases.
Please feel free to try it out from the git branch linked below. You'd need to use
crossbuilder to compile it and deploy to your device via ADB.
NOTE: BEWARE EDGE CHANNEL USERS. This won't work on edge because there's a separate branch for it which I don't have a modified fork yet. If there's plenty of interested then I might consider
Suggestions and feedback will also be greatly appreciated especially on the design