Ubuntu Touch on LG G6 (h870 model): call for testers

• LG G6 (h870, as it is the EU version) porting to Ubuntu Touch started to be in shape for testers.
    Please, refer to @rymdllama @tanevanwifferen @Guf for any question.
    This is a device released in 2017 with the following technical specs:

• 5.7” Quad HD+ (1440x2880), 18:9 ratio, HDR10
    • Qualcomm(c) Snapdragon(tm) 821 (2.35Ghz Quad Core)
    • Touch with rear fingerprint sensor
    • 4GB RAM, 32GB eMMC, micro SD slot (up to 2TB)
    • 3,300mAh (embedded)
    • Rear camera: Dual 13MP (dual matrix 1/3.06”), Standard 71°, f/1.8 * Wide-angle 125°, f/2.4
    • Front camera: 5MP, wide-angle 100°, f/2.2
    • Usb-c output (Fast charge 3.0)

Distributed with Android 7.0 Nougat, so suitable for Halium-7.1 (issue #115). Full description is available here.

At this extent, the following feature are successfully ported on UT and work out-of-the-box:

• Linux 3.18.31 (msm8996) on arm64-v8a
    • GUI: unity (8.20), mir (0.31.2)
    • GSM (inbound/outbound calls)
    • SMS: inbound and outbound fully working, and notifications appear in the menu,
    • Ofono: audio in inbound and outbound calls work works out-of-the-box
    • 4G data connection
    • wifi
    • Screen rotation, using Ubuntu Touch Platform API, too. Rotation block also works
    • Power (fingerprint and power button), Volume up and down buttons
    • Printscreen by pressing at the same time Volume+ and Volume- during 2-3 seconds
    • Apparmor patch applied and working
    • Notification (bubble and sound both work)
    • Battery animation while charging
    • Sound and headset output
    • Vibration
    • Stats on blocked screen
    • Sensors (test_sensors's output)

Lxc contained is working fine.

Still to improve or to test (2020-01-26):

• LEDs: manually working, but no sign of them to be used with notifications,
    • GPS
    • Bluetooth
    • Annoying flooding of errors in dmesg with the following message: "IPC_RTR: msm_ipc_router_bind: pm-service Do not have permissions" . It unfortunately drains battery (2020-01-31, fixed)
    • Front and rear cameras (even though it was applied @peat_psuwit's gst-droid and installed nemo-qtmultimedia-plugins)

Still to test (2020-01-26):

• Video playback (still to test)
    • Fingerprint
    • Anbox

Updated images (2020-01-26):

Repo in github:

• @Guf This is an exciting port, the lg g6 is a great phone. Any chance this would work with an h871?

• @dieharddan I have no idea what the difference between the two is! is it EU or US model?
    Anyway I can try to help you, if you want.
    You can adapt your port accordingly with my sources.
    @tanevanwifferen and @rymdllama are on it.

• @dieharddan Lg g6 model numbers variants in this (article)[https://www.teamandroid.com/2017/04/15/lg-g6-model-numbers-variants/]
    if you want to port it, and you have telegram, you can join us on a little group I just created

• yes it is a us version, I don't have one anymore but would repurchase to try it out at some point

• @Guf maybe that helps you.
    It seems like its nearly the same.

I have hoped a long time for the Xperia X port. After it got abandoned I was quite disappointed, but this port seems quite exiting. :the_horns:

• @Guf said in Ubuntu Touch on LG G6 (h870 model): call for testers:

Annoying flooding of errors in dmesg with the following message: "IPC_RTR: msm_ipc_router_bind: pm-service Do not have permissions" . It unfortunately drains battery

Hi i have ported LG V20, same hardware and manifacture. for this error

Annoying flooding of errors in dmesg with the following message: "IPC_RTR: msm_ipc_router_bind: pm-service Do not have permissions" . It unfortunately drains battery

Didi you added SECURITY_ANDROID_GID_CAPABILITIES in your kernel ?
    see this
    http://docs.halium.org/en/latest/porting/debug-build/wifi.html

• @makeixo @walidham Fixed! I applied the patch for bullhead which suggested the same: to disable CONFIG_ANDROID_PARANOID and to enable SECURITY_ANDROID_GID_CAPABILITIES, but I hadn't done it well. With the help of @tanevanwifferen (who suggested what was wrong), we fixed it ... so let's go for other issues, now

• You might want to use the list at then end of this page: https://pad.ubports.com/p/PortChecklist to give a detailed and standardized overview of whats working and whats not 🙂

• @Guf I haven't done anything. I am just lurking. I am more like a fan.