Since early 2018, I've been working on porting Ubuntu Touch on tenshi, a mid range BQ Aquaris U Plus, commercialized with Android 6, thus suitable to work with Halium-7.1.
See the HAL port specific details: https://github.com/Halium/projectmanagement/issues/54.
The device is equipped with:
- 5" HD 1280x720 screen, 294 HDPI
- 3GB RAM,
- 32 Gb ROM (in my case),
- Qualcom(c) Snapdragon(c) 430 (msm8937) up to 1,4GHz
as in his specs page (https://store.bq.com/en/aquaris-u-plus-2-gb).
Nowadays the device has reached an interesting level of support, as the following features works well:
- Kernel 3.18.31 for armv7l
- Graphical User Interface, with unity8 (8.17+ubports5+0) and mir (0.24.20ubuntu11) for 32 bits libraries,
- Data connection: up to 4G (depending on your Mobile Network Operator, but here in Spain tested either with Movistar, Orange and Vodafone),
- wifi (embedded in the kernel)
- Audio (and external output with jack): thanks to pulseaudio and recent pulseaudio-modules-droid-24 development,
- GPS: it works
- Screen rotation, using Ubuntu Touch Platform API, too. Rotation block also works,
- SMS: inbound and outbound fully working, and notifications appear in the menu,
- Ofono: audio in inbound and outbound calls work works out-of-the-box, now (2020-09-16) also hands-free speaker. It is able to mix well bluetooth headset output from speakers, but with handset it still works with both speakers and handset at the same time
- test_sensors produces a congruent output,
- Power, Volume up and down buttons
- Printscreen by pressing at the same time Volume+ and Volume- during 2-3 seconds
- Bluetooth: works
- Dual SIM enabled
- Notification partially works (for teleports, for instance, SMS, missed calls, SD storage)
- Android alarms work
- Hotspot works (tethering with linked devices)
- Main and selfie cameras both work with @peat_psuwit's gst-droid and nemo-qtmultimedia-plugins. I kept on working with version in rootfs from reply #35
- LED (white) when charging
- Anbox (update 2020-03-03)
- Apparmor (update 2020-03-26)
Note: NOT NEEDED ANYMORE just before a call, manually run
phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$ pactl set-card-profile droid_card.primary voicecall && pactl set-sink-port sink.primary_output output-parking && pactl set-sink-port sink.primary_output output-speaker && pactl set-sink-volume sink.primary_output 200
from terminal as phablet to activate audio in calls
Lxc container works fine.
Still to improve:
Tested and working (2020-09-16):
- rootfs.img (2020-09-16): rootfs.img (with password: 1234)
- system image (2020-09-16) system.img
system image: system.img
- kernel image (2020-03-26): halium-boot.img
At this moment it has been successfully tested with:
- UT edge rootfs: http://ci.ubports.com/job/xenial-hybris-edge-rootfs-armhf/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/out/ubuntu-touch-hybris-xenial-edge-armhf-rootfs.tar.gz
- Plasma Mobile https://images.plasma-mobile.org/caf-rootfs/pm-rootfs-20190703-055501.tar.gz. See also https://docs.halium.org/en/latest/porting/install-build/plasma-mobile.html
- Halium-based rootfs https://docs.halium.org/en/latest/porting/install-build/reference-rootfs.html
For those who want to test it, please, use JBBgameich's halium-install (latest version), to install it on your device, once you completed TWPR installation on recovery.
Join us on Telegram's chat.