Wishes, Dreams, and Unicorns
Here is a list I typed of of Issues i have seen, things i want and think could help, and apps that would make my life easier.
Issues Pixel 3a and probably others
- Always based on the most recent LTS
- Speaker phone stops using speaker in call when I click on it.IfI click speaker forever it shall be.
- Xfinity Mobile Does not work
MMS Does not work on Mint Mobile
- Anything using Location services take forever, maps become pointless.
- Battery can drain in a few hours or a few days
- Apps on the pixel 3a can not use the gyroscope.
- Ajust brightness automatically does not work
- Audio quality in calls
- ui freezes often at login
- 5G wifi networks to show up on wifi selection in settings
- Compatibility with other linux debian distros, so apps can be relivent on all devices like flatpaks or snaps.
- ISOdrive to support imgs and custom folder selection
- An app like ISO drive that is a script keyboard & use my onscreen keyboard and mouse to type on the computer. Support ducky scripts.
- A level app that supports the pixel 3a
- Vugerly to support cutting video and audio to make mp3 and ogg
- An app that is a firewall, GUI
- Spam blocker for calls kinda like hiya
- A way to pay development and support the comunity. A bug bounty- This should be an app that works acrossed almost all linux phones.
- Documentaion is everywhere, not centralized, I think we should have a place where you can get all the documentation, including known working APN settings.
Sorry for formatting, typed this up on the pixel 3a and pasted here.
Let me know what ideas you have, what are your dreams and unicorns?
always based on the latest LTS
if it's any help, the work on rebasing on 20.04 is underway was we speak
Documentaion is everywhere, not centralized, I think we should have a place where you can get all the documentation, including known working APN settings
the centralized documentation is at docs.ubports.com if something is missing there it can be added by submitting a merge request at https://github.com/ubports/docs.ubports.com
granted APN settings are very carrier-specific not sure how to organize such a documentation
Sure, dreams and all that, but it sounds to me like you have a quite usable Smartphone if only those are your sticking points
From a user perspective the answer is no. I can not send/recive mms, so my work would suffer. If i was ever in an emergency situation I would not trusth the call clarity. My life could suffer. Around 5% battery phone randomly restarts. There is not a good set of app selection for my use case. I can not trust it but maybe one day. Im learning, think Im going to learn to code to create my first app.
I would say people have put in hundreds of long hours to gwt her, but we still have a ways to go.
@trwidick really? mms sending is a thing now? In my entire life I have maybe send an mms once by accident and I don't think I know anyone who uses those either.
And if you think your life will depend on it, then better not use a smartphone at all. They break easily and run out of battery quickly.
dobey last edited by
@povoq Any group SMS is an MMS, fwiw.
@dobey TIL, but I have never seen a group sms in the wild either... must be an odd bubble I live in
@povoq Well I have had the same Samsung Galaxy S9+ since I worked at T-Mobile when the phone launched. SMS and MMS have worked flawlessly in the U.S. metro areas with out reliability issues that I'm aware of. It is used daily for business. I do apology's If I came off as satire/cross. I know our needs are wildly different from each other, though they pertain to the same common goal. At work we send photos, and video over MMS, and group messages. Its easier and cheaper than most alternatives. My s9+ has had over a days worth of battery life for the last 3 years. Doctors depend on cell phones, and so do firefighters so I really don't see your point. They are a utility only. My list I made is a suggestion form the 101 Q&A, I decided to post it publicly. I'm new to the community and thank you for your input, maybe you could help me solve some of these issue, or help some one build a utility to change the world.
Moem last edited by
Keneda last edited by Keneda
@povoq lot of people, including me, use (send and/or receive) MMS quite daily, first of all to send images and photos, it's one of the must have for a smartphone...
And those i know who don't use mms, use whatsapp or alike instead...
Plus, any SMS that is more than 160 characters, is a MMS...
So yes, MMS is a thing the same as SMS, alongside with calls...
Smartphone basis with photo, gps, webbrowser, calendar, waking app, mail...
Yes, being able to send and receive MMS without problems is one of the fundamentals of all current smartphones and must also become so for UT, especially for all new UT models in development.
poVoq last edited by poVoq
@keneda I really never saw anyone sending images via mms. Don't have people messengers for that? I mean, why would anyone pay for MMS (or get a contract with free mms) when you can send them for free with a messenger (or at least get more general purpose internet volume). But I guess those people really exists mind blown.
@povoq The point of this tread is to give input on what you think we should do better, your dreams and wishes. Your unicorn the one off thing that would make using UT magical. Do you have any valid input? What changes do you want to see?
Do you want facebook messenger built in to the os like most android phones?
Keneda last edited by Keneda
I don't know where do you live but in France SMS/MMS are unlimited and free of charge with any contrat...
And i think it's the same in quite all countries in Europe, so yes, MMS is commonly used.
Oh and MMS works with any smartphone, no need for the same "messenger" app installed in both sending and receiving phone, it's GAFAM and third part app free.
- magnetometer sensor working
- protonmail bridge or similar, generic solution
- kde connect
- purism's effort to integrate xmpp and matrix into chatty is very interesting and integratin sip in calls
However, I think the UT developers are doing such a great job, that I almost feel ashamed by listing anything.
@magnargj I love this and tottaly agree. A protonbrigde would be awsome.
@emphrath Like OpenGl?
Keneda last edited by
Like for decoding videos in media player or on websites like youtube i believe ^^
@keneda A agree this can be very Important. I use youtube at work everyday. No better way to find a teardown of a laptop that needs a new motherboard or jack replaced. I wish i could code our problems away, but i do not code. The pixel 3a i think has hardware encoding, youtube works quite well, with out buffering, or skipping frames I might be wrong tho.