Installing additional Android app's in Anbox on Ubuntu Touch

• I followed the instructions found here and installed Xenial and Anbox on my BQ M10FHD.
    And now I was wondering how to install additional Android apps to Anbox. I followed the instructions on the Anbox site. I installed the adroid-tools-adb on my tablet, downloaded an apk file and then tried to do adb install <app.apk>. But adb does not see the Andbox container. adb devices does not return any devices.
    Am I missing some crucial step somewhere?

• I installed Anbox on my laptop running Ubuntu 16.04 to get a feel of how installing additional apps is supposed to work.
    I found out that Anbox is only visible to adb when an Anbox application is running. Most commonly the Anbox Application Manager. In that case the result is as follows on my machine:

me@my-device:~$ adb devices
    List of devices attached
    emulater-5558  device

On my tablet I have no icon for the Anbox Application Manager. Instead, the Android applications that come installed each have their own icons visible in the Ubuntu Touch Applications scope.

When launch one of the applications and wait till it is running in foreground, then adb shell into the tablet I get:

phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$ adb devices
    List of devices attached

So still no joy.

Looks like your connection to UBports Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.