Community infrastructure: Forum and Telegram

• Hi,

I sort of start feeling old, trying to participate in UBports: An open source project without a mailing list and without IRC channel does not really integrate with the modes of communication I'm used to use.

Just tried to make a telegram account (via web.telegram.org), however it needs a phone number, and (one of my) "landline" SIP-based phone numbers is not accepted ("incorrect phone number"). I'm not really willing to give my cell phone number to an untrusted 3rd party to participate in an open-source project. I mean, if I were, then I probably would just be using Google Android and not bothering with UBports, would I :) ?

So I guess I'll have to stay at the outside for now.

cheers,

Dave

• @dave Hi. There is away of using IRC in the telegram group I have seen reference to it. Sorry but I have never used it only seen the comments. There is #ubports on Freenode and apparently ways of using matrix to contact the supergroup. Again I haven't used any of these. If you can't find them maybe @advocatux can help. I know he has said on many occasions he would prefer to use mailing list.
    Think I need to look into these more myself.

• @dave those channels exist but (almost) nobody use them. Ah these younglings... :)

Edit: I see you're using IRC <> Telegram already.

• @dave said in Community infrastructure: Forum and Telegram:

Hi,

I sort of start feeling old, trying to participate in UBports: An open source project without a mailing list and without IRC channel does not really integrate with the modes of communication I'm used to use.

Just tried to make a telegram account (via web.telegram.org), however it needs a phone number, and (one of my) "landline" SIP-based phone numbers is not accepted ("incorrect phone number"). I'm not really willing to give my cell phone number to an untrusted 3rd party to participate in an open-source project. I mean, if I were, then I probably would just be using Google Android and not bothering with UBports, would I :) ?

So I guess I'll have to stay at the outside for now.

cheers,

Dave

+1 for using the (existing) mailing-list as primary channel for technical discussions and support.

Matthias

• @guru said in Community infrastructure: Forum and Telegram:

+1 for using the (existing) mailing-list as primary channel for technical discussions and support.

Are you talking about the UBports's ones or the old Canonical's Ubuntu-Phone list?

• @advocatux said in Community infrastructure: Forum and Telegram:

@guru said in Community infrastructure: Forum and Telegram:

Are you talking about the UBports's ones or the old Canonical's Ubuntu-Phone list?

Both would do the job. The old one even better because a lot of UT users are still subscribed there and would may be encouraged to move to the UBports devices.

Looks like your connection to UBports Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.