I had Meizu Pro 5 Ubuntu Edition but run into the https://forums.ubports.com/assets/uploads/files/1528013524195-8a15d567-ca4b-44ca-a1ce-84fdb7e0aec7-image.png screen when first trying to update it to Ubports 16.04/stable channel.
Somehow now later I managed to flash - with ubuntu-device-flash - from within 16.04 ubuntu installation (actually, 16.04 lxd container with usb vendor specific passthrough). I did that by booting to Ubuntu's recovery installation with power button + volume up - this is where you might need the recovery-turbo.img but I had it flashed already.
I verified that from within my lxc container (where I had added lxc config device add CONTAINERNAME meizu usb vendorid=18d1) I was able to see the device with 'adb devices'. Then I ran ubuntu-device-flash --server=http://system-image.ubports.com touch --device=turbo --channel=ubports-touch/15.04/stable - I thought it got stuck after downloads, but actually then it started the "Pushing" phase. And even more to my surprise, it rebooted to flashing phase with Ubuntu prorgress bar going back and forth, and then booted into working Ubports installation! Even though I specified "15.04/stable", it seems it too pointed to 16.04 already, ie OTA-5.
The greatest thing was that since I didn't need to specify --bootstrap or --wipe, it was even the same installation I used as my main phone back in the days, so I had all my apps and photos intact.
Well, @doniks, I have tried creating files of various sizes with dd and doing an adb push with them, and there are some results:
-Images of 1 GB or 1,5 GB are not created by an error of insufficient space in halium-install
-Images of 2 GB or more are created but when I try to push it to the phone vía adb push (filename) /data it gives me an error of not enough partition size.
I have tried it not only with Ubuntu Touch images, also with Plasma Mobile rootfs and Halium reference rootfs.
If your sources have the file init.qcom.rc, with this line:
export LD_SHIM_LIBS /system/lib/libril.so|libril_shim.so:/system/lib/libcrypto.so|libboringssl-compat.so
try change this to
export LD_SHIM_LIBS /system/lib/libril.so|libril_shim.so
build system.img and install again.
I do not think this will work since Ubuntu Touch uses not a standard way of building it. Its also not a "ROM" since its loaded to the phone in a different way.
Also we do not support Android 8.1 at the moment...
could a virtual trackpad be added?
@zzarr generally speaking, I think anything is possible if someone with the necessary knowledge and skills wants to improve something in UT but I don't know the technical requirements of that to give you an specific answer
Really!? More crossposting?
Also it seems everytime you crosspost in a new place you give less information. If this is meant as a followup it needs a summary and references to what has happened earlier. But you give nothing.
Just to give an answer here which might or might not help. Ignore:
recovery.fstab - probably only used for recovery, and will not be needed for porting. The recovery make step will do the same for UBports recovery as for Android recovery, so if it is needed, it will be placed in the right place.
charger.fstab - In charger mode there is also a little Android running, it will pick this up from the regular build, see before
the common and aosp.common, try to look at their differences. And try to go with the common one first
Funnily enough I was going to attempt this myself - just haven't had time + I don't want to sacrifice my daily driver for development just yet, at least not without an adequate replacement.
Maybe when I manage to get my Xperia X's digitizer replaced so I have a decently reliable spare I'll try working on this.
modules:composer.user_said_in, @ericarthurc, Is trying to port this myself for the Pixel 2 XL even worth it? If it even works?
@doniks Oh I mean I definitely want to :D. I just heard somewhere that phones that came with 8.1 had some file system differences that were causing issues with this.
mhm, not sure about file system differences, but 8.1 might impose some challenges. Halium must be able to deal with the android version. It shouldn't be impossible though and there was some work happening. You'd better check in the Halium irc/tg/matrix channel: https://docs.halium.org/en/latest/porting/first-steps.html#getting-help
And I know the Pixel 2 XL uses a a/b system partition format.
I'm quite sure I've seen porters that had success with a/b partitioning schemes. I don't think this is a big problem. For starters, I guess you just only use one of them.