Ubuntu Touch Programming Course

• Thanks @mimecar, I tried your install steps, but it still didn't work.

BUT
    I managed to find actual cause of the problem.. it was permission problem. "unix.socket" file was owned by root. So I changed file ownership to lxd and it works.

sami@acer1:~$ ls -la /var/lib/lxd/unix.socket
    srw-rw---- 1 root root 0 marra 13 12:37 /var/lib/lxd/unix.socket
    sami@acer1:~$ sudo chown lxd:lxd /var/lib/lxd/unix.socket
    sami@acer1:~$ ls -la /var/lib/lxd/unix.socket
    srw-rw---- 1 lxd lxd 0 marra 13 12:37 /var/lib/lxd/unix.socket

Hope this helps if someone else has same problem someday.. 🙂

• Thank you for answering @fulvio. I hope to move on to UBports firmware today.

@HendriXXX , I will add your answer to the course. Thank you for sharing the solution.

The Telegram group link of the course is now fixed (previously expired from time to time).

• Good afternoon

I just published the December course chapter. In this issue, @fulvio 's example application continues. Based on the temperature recorder, the possibility of displaying temperatures on a graph is added.

The concepts are more advanced than those seen in the normal course. For this reason, it is necessary to have a solid base of QML, JavaScript and SQLite. If you have any questions you can ask in the forum.

I was planning to publish more content. There is a translation that I have to revise and publish, but for reasons of time I will publish it in January. There are some surprises in the inkwell, but at the moment I won't give any more details.

• Good afternoon.

I've posted a new course block. While the previous blocks worked with the Ubuntu Touch SDK, native applications will be programmed in this block on the desktop. There is also a new application that I hope you will be interested in programming.
    https://mimecar.gitbooks.io/ubuntu-touch-programming-course/content/en/chapter-06.html

This month I hope to publish more content I have pending. I will inform you about the news in this forum thread.
    https://www.gitbook.com/book/mimecar/ubuntu-touch-programming-course/details

• I am trying to follow the tutorial here and managed to install the new Ubuntu Sdk. When I run or build the app i get the following messages

in Issues> error: There was a error in the device detection of desktop, no IP address was returned.
    in application output> Application failed to start: No private key file given.

Couldnt find the solution anywhere to this. Does anyone know what is happening here.

• Hi @Nithin,

On the Devices tab, have you configured the ports and the SSH connection?

• HI mimecar, Thanks a lot for the help. I am running Kubuntu, and not Ubuntu. Should that be a problem?
    This is how my devices tab looks like
    0_1517946583070_32c560b4-92f9-47c8-910e-88f28dc41634-image.png
    0_1517946598491_c056bed5-84c4-4daf-b88b-cdeafff9f7db-image.png
    Also this
    0_1517946984981_b05f661e-2532-4a63-b344-a25578f68fbe-image.png

• @nithin, Have you done all the steps in the "Running the Application on a Real Device" section?
    https://mimecar.gitbooks.io/ubuntu-touch-programming-course/content/en/chapter-02.html

On the screen of Ubuntu devices you should get your phone.

• Not yet I was still trying to run it on my desktop. When that didn't work i didn't try running it on my Phone. The "Running on your device" section comes after that.

• Tried running it on the device. after activating developer mode, the SSH notification doesn't appear at all. Also i tried installing Ubuntu sdk again. At the step

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-sdk

i get the following error

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    ubuntu-sdk : Depends: ubuntu-sdk-libs-dev but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

• Assuming Kubuntu being a possible cause for the problem, I decided to try it out on Kde Neon and Ubuntu. Kde Neon again seemed to have the same problem of not wanting to install dependencies. So then I Installed Ubuntu and tried the same on it. only to encounter some other errors, here are a few ones.

during

sudo lxd init
    in the question on default storage back-end to use, Ubuntu wouldn't take zfs for an option for some reason.
    so had to then use the command
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-lxc/lxd-stable
    this doesnt work either. instead one has to use
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-lxc/stable

After this there was no zfs option available at all.
    so had to use this

sudo apt install -t xenial-backports lxd lxd-client

after all of this i am back to the same problem which i faced in the first step.

I am trying to follow the tutorial here and managed to install the new Ubuntu Sdk. When I run or build the app i get the following messages

in Issues> error: There was a error in the device detection of desktop, no IP address was returned.
    in application output> Application failed to start: No private key file given.

As a last step will try compiling the clock app as mentioned in the Readme.Developers.

• Good evening.

I have uploaded the translation of the chapter "Formatting label and events". I'll upload the source code next week. I have another collaboration from Fulvio pending and I hope to upload it next week.
    https://mimecar.gitbooks.io/ubuntu-touch-programming-course/content/en/chapter-04-s03.html

• @nithin said in Ubuntu Touch Programming Course:

After this there was no zfs option available at all.
    so had to use this

sudo apt install -t xenial-backports lxd lxd-client

Thanks! Using lxd from xenial-backports helped to overcome that Creating the bridge failed with: not implemented issue.

It would be nice to have this hint in Course.

• @mimecar : following you.
    Thanks for your work !
    Pulsar33

• @tischlerwilly @mimecar : Error No Storage Pool Found
    As said by tischlerwilly, I have the same error when installing the developper kits :

No storage pool found
    I'm also using MINT 18(.3) 64bits. Did you find the solution, please ?
    Best regards
    Pulsar33

Oooops ! See below ...

• @mimecar @HendriXXX @TischlerWilly :

Hello,
    Sorry, I've discovered that when I search for something with CTRL-F in a long thread with Firefox, the process doesn't see all the content. So at the beginning of the thread, searching for "pool", I found only the posts of TischlerWilly and mimecar but no complete answer.
    This is why I thought there was no answer ...
    If I go at the end of the thread, I find the answers of HendriXXX and mimecar, so I'll give a try to the solution and report here how it goes.
    Have a nice day
    Pulsar33

• @mimecar said in Ubuntu Touch Programming Course:

• sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-lxc/lxd-stable

This command returned an error. I tried this instead :

• sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-lxc/stable

I hope it was the good choice. Next I followed the proposal of HendriXXX :

• sudo chown lxd:lxd /var/lib/lxd/unix.socket

All the process worked and my kits are created now.
    However, I didn't see the error "container is faulty"
    Proceeding to the next steps ...
    Best regards
    Pulsar33

• This may seem off-topic, but way a custom PPA when LXC and LXD are available in the repositories?

• @mimecar : Hello
    I've been able to generate Hello Word and Calculator applications.
    All is perfectly clear and well explained. Thank you !

However, I'm facing three errors as described below. Maybe are they due to the same reason.

As far as ipvoid knows, the faulty IP is :
    IP Address: 91.189.88.161
    Hostname: keeton.canonical.com
    Organization: Canonical Group Limited
    ASN: AS41231 Canonical Group Limited
    Continent: Europe (EU)
    Latitude\Longitude: 51.5142 / -0.0931
    Region: England
    City: London

It seems that this must be solved to continue learning how to create my own applications. Have you a solution please ?
    Have a nice day.
    Pulsar33

• @pulsar33 Vivid reached End of Life in February 4, 2016. You need to replace all the archive.ubuntu.com with old-releases.ubuntu.com in your sources.list