Guide: SMS and MMS fixes for North America Carriers
rik last edited by rik
Thanks to recent developments, SMS and MMS fixes for users of various Halium 9 ports such as the Pixel 3a (XL), OnePlus 6, and others make it possible to get reliable SMS and MMS (only with wifi disabled right now) working for North American carriers, which previously had not been consistent.
- Note: Even with these fixes, MMS incoming group messages aren't delivered to the Messages App correctly. MMS Photos work fine in and out, and sending MMS group messages work. Here is a brief guide to getting this working:
- IMS services need to be disabled as part of the port, since if those services are running then carriers may detect your phone supports IMS and convert the way they deliver SMS to your device causing all your SMS to go down a black hole!
- Pixel 3a: please move to the "RC" or "Devel" channels, which have the patches already applied to disable IMS services.
- Other devices: if you receive 1 SMS after boot then no others, it likely is IMS interference. You may need to contact the porter of your device to discuss with them disabling IMS services.
Step 1: Apply MMS patches
- Note: for the Pixel 3a using "RC" or "Devel" channels, only the first patch for "nuntium 8" will actually make any changes.
Step 2: Install updated
Somehow get a terminal running on your device: recommended is enabling
System Settings > Aboutthen using
adb shellwhen connected to a computer via USB-C. Otherwise, you could connect via
ssh[if you have that set up](link url).
Run these commands:
sudo mount -o remount,rw /
sudo apt install --reinstall ./ofono*.deb
Step 3: Reboot
Again, at this time, MMS send and receive only work with wifi disabled. If you have issues with your APN Settings then try to
Reset ALL APN Settigns, reboot, and re-enter them based on your carrier specifications. Note that another bug prevents setting
Internet and MMSas the APN type: use
MMSonly, but do NOT create a duplicate APN for
Internetin this case: 2 APN entries with the same APN will cause MMS to not work! So effectively, in this case, just set up the APN for MMS only and Internet should also work.
Join the UBPorts [North America Carrier Issues] if you need interactive support in getting SMS / MMS working.
Lakotaubp last edited by
@rik Thanks for this and all your other posts on related threads yesterday.
@rik Is it possible this has been implemented in the latest update in devel? I managed to get mine working with receiving/sending mms wifi off with just changing my APN settings and nothing else. I didn't do anything in your steps.
Reset ALL APN Settings
Everything below blank.
I rebooted with wifi off and it works. I can toggle wifi on when needed but can then turn wifi off without a reboot to send/receive mms.
(2G/3G/4G) option works
rik last edited by
@bradman1171 the ofono updates are needed to more easily use the GUI to change and edit APN settings, which sometimes worked, sometimes didn't for a lot of people. Also, resetting APNs often didn't "stick" with those updates. But if you have APN settings working then good! Also with other updates it may be possible, I'll re-re-re-re-re-test from scratch to see if that is the case. But @fredldotme had indicated that these hadn't been applied yet to devel.
For "MMS patches" to nuntium, I thought they were still necessary, but if they are not then I will remove that part of the guide. Again I'll give a re-test to check again.
@rik Ah sounds good! Yeah I did a fresh devel install and updated the version and just configured the APN based on a ubports forum i found and it worked! The tmobile APN settings dont seem to work but the USmobile fixed my tmobile problems.
My configuration is on my first post but ill leave this here
Keneda last edited by Keneda
possible to get reliable SMS and MMS (only on wifi right now)
Again, at this time, MMS send and receive only work with wifi disabled.
Something's unclear there.
@keneda wifi must be off to recieve and send MMS (images) it will notify an error when recieving if your wifi is on. Text do come through and go with wifi on.
Keneda last edited by
That's not a question i asked, but thanks anyway ^^
rik last edited by
@keneda typo fixed. yes it is only with wifi DISABLED that mms is working. WIth wifi on UT doesn't know to send / receive MMS over cellular since wifi is preferred.