Today after several tries I was able to get the hotspot working on my Nexus 5. I tried different menu click combinations on the Nexus and none of the usual combinations worked. I'm using it now as I type this. The wifi sniffer said that the vendor name is Google, Inc. now on this connection I have today. Google, Inc. and LG Electronics kept popping up at the same time a few times as vender name and mostly LG Electronics, but I was not able to get a connection on either. Google, Inc. went through three different BSSID addresses before I had internet. This is the first time I've seen it connect to the Google, Inc. address. It seems like there is a fight going on between LG and Google. On my Mac, the network connection window shows the hotspot name twice and the check mark alternates between the two like it cannot make up it's mind which one to connect to. Maybe in a future UT update this problem can be worked out. If anyone has an idea on what I can do to help my computer connect to the hotspot, then please let me know. If you are using Linux or BSD then that would be helpful to know, too. My Mac is on the Catalina OS update. Thanks.
I have read that Apple devices are supposed to work nice together, and maybe other devices are not so important. Eventually, I would like to get moved onto an Ubuntu or FreeBSD computer. I've had this iMac since new 2007. Thanks for the reply.
The WebRTC test passes (no IP info given out) for certain servers with PIA VPN. There have been no connection issues. I used the VPN Editor app on Open Store and edited the system-connections file in Terminal as described elsewhere. The VPN still will not work with wifi, but I'm happy it works with the cell data part of the phone.