I had actually already seen that thread and I had already tried to follow the advice given there.
So I tried again, but without too much hope it would now work. But -O ye, of little faith- it did work! The different outcome might be related to the installation of the ClockworkMod ADB driver earlier today (http://adb.clockworkmod.com/), see step 6 below.
For future reference I will list the different steps (as the terms are not identical as in your list):
- Open Device Manager, fold out "TP-LINK Android Phone"
- Right click item "Google Nexus ADB Interface"
- Select "Update Driver" on Driver tab
- Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
- Select "Let me pick from a list of available drivers from my computer"
- Assure "Show compatible hardware" is checked and select "USB Composite Device" (I'm inclined to believe previously only "Google Nexus ADB Interface" was available, and the new device might have come along with earlier installation of the ClockworkMod ADB driver).
- Select Next, wait for driver installation and close.
- The device auto-mounts immediately!!!