A summary of this thread:
This thread discusses many different ways on how the design of the Login screen of UT screen could be improved. The whole conversation got pretty big thus, here is a small summary on Ideas, wishes and approaches.
What is to consider when redesigning the Login?
- The design needs to be convergent (usable in desktop and mobile mode)
- The design should look good in light and dark mode as there is no way to incorporate theming well.
- The design should not duplicate the look and feel of Android or iOS
- The design needs to be usable as good with a pin as with a passphrase
Which designs have been discussed so far?
@purplevvay made many mock-ups for different design Ideas, and we borrowed some from the ICE thread as well:
- close to the current design
- original Keyboard is used
- slight transparency
- Input field based on login method
- Emergency is missing
(my personal favorite)
- repositioned input
- bigger user Icon above the text input
- Original keyboard is used
- No design changes based on Input method
- Very universal between light and dark mode
- transparency for default user and input
- blurred background
- full screen pin pad
- extra click required for keyboard
- not very convergent
- a mobile experience people are used to
I created a click dummy for this design:
These designs are more or less a variation of the designs in 2. but uses a custom version of the keyboard.
How far have we come to implement this our selves?
I have been able to tweak unity/lomiri to my liking, but we are not really close to anything that could be proposed in a pull request.
To @CiberSheep and the rest of the design team:
What do you think of our Ideas and mock-ups? Do you think this is something that should be added to UT? How could we further help you to turn this into reality? Do you have other thoughts?
If you are interested in turning this into reality, I would be happy to give you a small gift card as a thank-you